Not all adoptable pet data APIs are made equal! Choosing the right API service is more than just numbers... you also need to consider reliability, functionality, restrictions, terms of service and support.
Our API, which has been in use since 2006, is very different than other adoptable pet APIs. Here are just a few reasons why:
- The ONLY updatable data API (HTTP/JSON)
- Completely free of logos or advertisements (like pet health insurance)
- No requirement to say "powered by" (we're truly doing this ONLY for the pets)
- No limitations on total requests, records per request, or the number of results, etc.
- No overly complex and unnecessary tokens, signing, or 3rd party protocols
- Supported and managed by in-house staff, not contractors -- skip the Tier 1 support and talk directly to the developers!
- Updated and expanded on a regular basis
Please see our API Comparison page for additional reasons the RescueGroups.org API is your best choice for a community-focused partnership.
Our API includes dozens of data fields not found anywhere else -- fields like color, pattern, and animal specific location are just a few. The organization data includes fields like adoption process, the areas they serve, website URL, and facebook URL to name just a few.
HTTP/JSON API - the most powerful API available, uses POST/JSON and is designed for live queries from your web site or service. You can search for animals and organizations using any combination of the fields, like postal code, distance, size, age, breed, etc. This API can access both public and private data, and can update private data as well.
The RescueGroups.org HTTP/JSON API provides access to both public and private data. Not all objects are available via this API, however, in the very near future we will be expanding the HTTP/JSON API to provide update access to all of our data structures.
The HTTP/JSON API is designed to work with live queries from your website. That means you don't have to store any information on your side! The HTTP/JSON API handles multiple search criteria including postal code, radius/distance, specific organizations, and any of our animal fields.
Please review the HTTP/JSON API documentation for additional information about the API.
Please contact us if you'd like to discuss the HTTP/JSON API and your project! We're always happy to help.
If you'd like to receive your own API key please fill out this form.